The .NET Gadgeteer Core installer includes the core libraries and end user project templates for Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer. This is a prerequisite for end users to build and deploy .NET Gadgeteer projects. It includes project templates in the New Project dialog in Visual Studio/Visual C# Express/Visual Basic Express under the Gadgeteer tab - ".NET Gadgeteer Application" for .NET Micro Framework version 4.1 and 4.2. This template uses a graphical designer built for Visual Studio or Visual C# Express which allows end users to visually configure .NET Gadgeteer hardware builds and then write the software logic for that hardware in C#.
The .NET Gadgeteer Builder Templates installer is for hardware vendors who are building modules, mainboards or kits comprising multiple modules/mainboards. This adds additional project templates for modules, mainboards and kits. Each template includes instructions on how to use it, and automatically builds an MSI installer which can be distributed to end users.
If you are a prospective module or mainboard builder you should also look at the Module Builder's Guide and Mainboard Builder's Guide, which includes the full specifications for what it means to be ".NET Gadgeteer compatible" and other helpful examples and guidelines.
Neither installer includes libraries for specific hardware modules/mainboards, so by themselves these installers do not enable users to use .NET Gadgeteer hardware. Hardware manufacturers should release installers (based on the templates above) for their hardware.
Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer Core
Version 2.42.600 11 May 2012
Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2 or Windows XP SP3
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (any edition) http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
Microsoft .NET Micro Framework SDK 4.2 (RTM QFE1) http://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/82448#DownloadId=343358
(supports both v4.2 and v4.1 hardware)
Microsoft .NET Micro Framework SDK 4.1 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8515
(supports v4.1 hardware only)
Version 2.42.600, 11 May 2012
- NETMF 4.2 support added alongside NETMF 4.1 support
- Visual Basic apps supported in NETMF 4.2, using Visual Studio or Visual Basic 2010 Express
- Module/mainboard/kit templates changed to enable simultaneous NETMF 4.1/4.2 support, and wizard added to ease module/mainboard creation
- For NETMF 4.2, GadgeteerCore's SPI, Serial and DaisyLink/SoftwareI2C features are split into separate DLLs so they can be left out to save RAM when not necessary.
- Bugfix in Gadgeteer.Interfaces.SPI
- Blocking the dispatcher now causes a runtime warning
- Reboot() call added to GT.Program
- Documentation updates to some of the APIs
- Designer checks for more dependencies between hardware (from GadgeteerHardware.xml files)
- VC# Express and VB Express installation fails if VS is also installed and VS and VC#/VB do not share the same directory root
i.e. if VC# Express is installed under where VS is, e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\ then it works OK.
- DaisyLink assigns global addresses but it could use per-bus addresses (normally one bus per socket) to increase total addressable devices