A suggestion to boost Gadgeteer development and releases

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM
It has been a very slow progress towards releasing a Gadgeteer SDK compatible with .NET Micro Framework (NETMF) 4.3. Although, the NETMF 4.3 was released December 4, 2012, no signs of any project activity or support for this framework are currently showing inside any of the source code files for the .NET Gadgeteer SDK (unless such work is done external of codeplex).

One reason of this (I am guessing) is that the Gadgeteer SDK requires contribution from more than one manufacturer (i.e. GHI Electronics, MSR, Seeed, SytechDesigns). It is only when all code from these manufacturers are incorporated, the SDK for the Gadgeteer can then be released. Therefore, I would suggest breaking the link between the Gadgeteer Core and the implementation of manufacturers Modules, Mainboards and Kits into different projects such that the core team concentrate more on releasing the framework independent of any manufacturer. Manufacturers, therefore, can have their own project schedule and can then decide when to release their support for the core framework.

What do you think guys? If you support this idea please share your support below. If otherwise, may you share with us your thoughts and opinion too please?
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I agree. Break the link!
Today there might not be a lot of manufacturers but it already seems an issue. What if there are more manufacturers?

PS: If you're waiting on Love Electronics, I don't know if you'll ever get response. Seems like Love Electronics is done. No updates on site, facebook, twitter, etc + forum has been down for months.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! I'm happy to write this following release today of .NET Gadgeteer core 2.42.700, found on the downloads page. This provides VS 2012 support, alpha support for NETMF 4.3, and some other fun features.

I think you have a misconception here. While this CodePlex repository includes code for manufacturers' hardware as well as the Core libraries, not all of that code goes into the release MSIs. The Core MSI takes code only from the GadgeteerCore directory. The other directories contain code and designs relevant to individual manufacturer's installers and hardware, but updates to that are decoupled from Core updates. That said, we do collaborate closely with manufacturers when changing GadgeteerCore, so that we can make sure new features as broadly useful as possible. You're also right that we use an internal source control site to do day-to-day development, and only upload to CodePlex when we have a release ready version.