The .NET Gadgeteer Core installer includes the core libraries and end user project template for Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer. This is a prerequisite for end users to build and deploy .NET Gadgeteer projects. It includes a single project template in the New Project dialog in Visual Studio/Visual C# Express under the Gadgeteer tab - ".NET Gadgeteer Application". This template uses a graphical designer built for Visual Studio or Visual C# Express which allows end users to visually configure .NET Gadgeteer hardware builds and then write the software logic for that hardware in C#.
The .NET Gadgeteer Builder Templates installer is for hardware vendors who are building modules, mainboards or kits comprising multiple modules/mainboards. This adds additional project templates for modules, mainboards and kits. Each template includes instructions on how to use it, and automatically builds an MSI installer which can be distributed to end users.
If you are a prospective module or mainboard builder you should also look at the Module Builder's Guide and Mainboard Builder's Guide, which includes the full specifications for what it means to be ".NET Gadgeteer compatible" and other helpful examples and guidelines.
Neither installer includes libraries for specific hardware modules/mainboards, so by themselves these installers do not enable users to use .NET Gadgeteer hardware. Hardware manufacturers should release installers (based on the templates above) for their hardware.
Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer Core
Version 2.41.500 13 February 2012
Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 or Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (any edition) http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
Microsoft .NET Micro Framework v4.1 QFE1 SDK
Version 2.41.500, 10 February 2012
- GTI.I2CBus bugfix to Read method
- Software I2C exposed under Gadgeteer.Interfaces - previously it was a hidden part of the DaisyLink implementation
- NetworkModule bugfix to NetworkSettings, UseDHCP and IsNetworkUp behaviour
- Added PDB files for all assemblies
- Added XML doc files for web client/server assemblies
- Added reference to System.Collections to default App template
- Added Invoke event to Program as a way of easily invoking methods on the dispatcher
- DisplayModule reboots less frequently to update display settings, and allows WPF on any display
- Mainboard interface supports abstraction of storage device mounting/unmounting allows storage device modules (e.g. SD card) to be written in a mainboard-independent way.
- VC# Express installation fails if VS is also installed and VS and VC# do not share the same directory root
i.e. if VC# Express is installed under where VS is, e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\ then it works OK.
- DaisyLink assigns global addresses but it could use per-bus addresses (normally one bus per socket) to increase total addressable devices
- Designer should track most recently used Mainboard and use that by default in a new project
- Designer does not examine MinimumGadgeteerCoreVersion XML tag right now, so if hardware requires a newer version of GadgeteerCore than the one installed, this does not surface until deployment time (as a link error).