Visual Studio Gadgeteer .NET Core Toolbox is Empty following VS Upgrade

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM
The gadgeteer Core SDK installer successfully integrated itself with a VS Express install. All features working.

VS Express was then uninstalled, and a full VS 12 Pro was installed.

The .NetMicro and Gadgeteer installers were run again.

The gadgeteer libraries are present, but no gadgeteer toolbox items appear, and a new project produces a blank designer window. No Wizard ever appears. So even the introductory projects fail.

How can this be corrected to restore the toolbox, and the wizard?
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Hi,

Can you confirm (from add/remove programs) the version of NETMF SDK and the version of GadgeteerCore you have installed? if you could list other Gadgeteer-related installers installed to that might be helpful (e.g. manufacturer SDKs).

If you have the latest Gadgeteer SDK (2.42.700) then you should see three templates when creating a new project - ".NET Gadgeteer Application", ".NET Gadgeteer Application (NETMF 4.1)" and ".NET Gadgeteer Application (NETMF 4.2)". Can you confirm which of these you ran to create the new project?

Ta
James
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Thanks James, lets see if I got everything here:

GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK Version 1.0.4
GHI OSHW NETMF v4.2 SDK Version 1.0.5
GHI NETMF USB Drivers Version 1.0.0
GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK Version 1.6.14.0
Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer Core Version 2.42.700

When I load VS with a new project, I see (6) because I clicked on that template builder install hoping that was what was missing.
So I see Application NETMF 4.1, 4.2 Gadgeteer App, Mainboard, Module, Kit.

I am selecting NETMF 4.2. It has been a week, but I think a wizard used to appear here, and a module picture on Program.gadgeteer. Now I get no wiz, and nothing in the toolbox.

Thanks.

(btw, when I click on add a picture here, it just dumps some code in my message but no file browser.)
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Hi,

(1) you didn't list your NETMF version but I presume it is there because in your post you said you reinstalled it
(2) you should use the ".NET Gadgeteer Application" project (no NETMF version number afterwards). This loads the wizard. The other Application projects do not. In the next release we will remove the other ones so only .NET Gadgeteer Application (with wizard) remains (aside from Builder Templates) so this confusion will go away.

It looks like you might need to reinstall the manufacturer SDKs (GHI in this case) if no hardware is appearing in the designer toolbox.

Ta
James
Jun 7, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Right,

I uninstalled everything, MS and GHI. Took a while, and you really had to scan the list not to miss any modules.
Then re-installed everything.

Up it came. Wizard, Toolbox and all. So I suppose if you upgrade, uninstall and carefully reinstall the aux packages.

VS is such a temperamental thing. Anything you can do about it? Like make the whole thing a Nuget managed thing?

Thanks for the support. I won't forget it.
It's what separates us from the Linux nightmare.

Thanks.
;-)