Simple Duplex PC Communication

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM
Edited Aug 1, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a fairly experienced C# dev but fairly new to Gadgeteer. I'm trying to find the easiest way to pass data between an EXE running on the PC and the Gadgeteer. After a fair bit of searching, all that comes up is using Ethernet/Bluetooth to just pass data over a network connection. Is there anything in the debugging tools to enable exchange data/events between the two or is this out of scope since it's an embedded device? Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Spelling

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Hi,

Passing data over a network connection is quite a popular approach.  Gadgeteer mainboards are capable of running a lightweight Web server, so they can host Web services as well as push data to other devices.  Going this route gives you flexibility to talk to a variety of devices - PCs, phones, other Gadgeteer devices, Web and cloud services.

However, if you're looking for a tight link between the Gadgeteer device and the PC, a USB Serial module is useful.  This turns any Gadgeteer U or K socket into a virtual COM port on the PC.  Here is one example, GHI's Serial-USB module:  http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/287

The debugging tools don't provide Gadgeteer/PC connectivity besides the connection to the debugger.  You can learn quite a lot about what is happening on the Gadgeteer device using the debugger, but for any persistent data exchange you'll want to use a USB Serial module or a network-based connection.

Hope that helps!

Kerry

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Thanks Kerry, I thought that might be the case. I was hoping that there was some additional functionality built into the debugger that could enable duplex data/event exchange beyond simple debug info.

Guess I'm off to get my ethernet module working and writing a server PC-side!

Cheers :)