PC - Gadget connection

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Hello team,

is it possible to connect the gadget built using this technology to a standard PC and share tha sensor data, etc. (Wifi, bluetooth)?

So I can perform some heavy computations on a "server" and send some outputs/instructions to the robot...

Developer
Nov 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Yes absolutely you can. Bluetooth is already in the making http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/275/

You can use USB-serial Module as well.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Hi, do you have any C# samples for USB communication for the Gadgeteer?

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

‘USB communication’ could mean many things. Do you want your Gadgeteer board to be a host, a client, or appear as a virtual serial port on the PC, etc. Without knowing what you’re after and what board you’re working with it is hard to know how to respond.

Jeff

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:36 AM
To: birt_j@soigeneris.com
Subject: Re: PC - Gadget connection [gadgeteer:279107]

Hi, do you have any C# samples for USB communication for the Gadgeteer?

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM

There are a lot of options to connect a Gadgeteer to a host PC (or to a cloud service!)

GHI makes the WiFi RS21 module, which will do standard WiFi.  There's also the Ethernet RS21 module if a hardwired connection is possible.  And, there's XBee and Bluetooth modules coming soon.

Sytech also offers an Ethernet module (with micro SD slot, too) and an Xbee module. 

There are several options for USB connectivity, too.  GHI's USBClientDP module that comes with the Fez Spider kit appears as a USB device to the host computer.  The same is true for the USBClientSP module that will ship with the Fez Hydra kit, and for Sytech's USB Device and Power Supply module.  All three of these have USB-OTG connectors which draw power from the host computer.

Then there are GHI's Serial-USB module and Sytech's Serial to USB module.  Both of these appear as a virtual COM port to the host PC.

We're working on a few project writeups that use Ethernet or WiFi to collect data from Gadgeteer devices.  We can work on one that uses the serial connection to a PC, too. 

-- Kerry

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Kerry/Jeff. A good solid C# USB example would be useful to many i think. With my pic projects i avoid the serial to usb due extra config step of assigning the com port. But it is very annoying not having any usb classes in C#, even if you are using UMDF. Equally an PC xbee comms exmaple would be also be very useful.

-graham.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I'll add a USB sample to the list.  This would be a great question to ask on the main Gadgeteer community forum, too:  http://www.netmf.com/gadgeteer/forum/.  It's small but growing quickly, so you might find someone in the community who already has a sample to share.

-- Kerry