Interop

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Can I add other hard sensors, like the lego or sparkfun sensor, what do I need to, to get them to work, implement a driver interface, control & power form the main boards?

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM

It depends on the type of sensor. If you look at the connectors on the main board they each support various types of signals: simple logic I/O, SPI, I2C, UART, etc. How ever your sensor interfaces you need to find the main board connector(s) that support the signals your sensor requires and then devise a way to wire the two together. Since Lego chose to use a goofy, non-standard connector, their sensors will be a bit more difficult to work with but you can find Lego compatible sockets out there. Once your sensor is wired up then you will have to write some code to make it work.

I suspect that once more vendors start producing Gadgeteer modules you'll find most of the sensors you need already Gadgeteer compatible (plug-and-play).

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I hope we see more expanded support, I am hesitant currently due to price and lack of hardware.